When it comes to car safety and peace of mind, I have to be in the know regarding what is the safest everything. Our research process when buying our current SUV was months and months in the making. When we registered for our first baby gifts almost five years ago, I wouldn’t blindly absorb the store salesman’s assurances of how safe the travel systems were….I had to get home and read up more on them before I scanned in the SKU.
Since then, every time we’ve purchased a car seat, it was back to the drawing board first and foremost to find out which ones suited our needs best…and which ones were safest. Crash test ratings, ease of adjustment, consumer complaints — everything was important to me. Let’s just say that I’ve gotten to know our local Safe Kids director very well over the years.
Another pervasive desire of mine was to find a seat that would let our children stay in a five-point harness for as long as possible, since it has been known to be safer at protecting kids in crashes than a booster. At four, G isn’t heavy or tall enough for a booster, and even if he was, at his age, I would still feel uncomfortable trusting him to keep his seatbelt buckled as we drove around.
I had begun to assume that a car seat that was easy to install, simple to adjust, easy to clean, and most of all, ranking high on all national safety standards was not to be found….too good to be true. In the past, I had always had to relinquish one of these benefits when choosing a seat, making the decision difficult and bittersweet.
Yet the True Fit seat boasts all of these pluses! It even comes in a great variety of colors, which meant that for the first time ever, G could have a seat with his favorite color on it — blue! That had him sold on the spot…and my husband and I were very quick to follow with our own approval.
Here are the main fast facts on the True Fit Convertible car seat:
- 4-star rating on ease of use by the NHTSA
- Grows with your child from 5 to 65 lbs.
- Deep side wings and extra padding foam for added protection, yet fits great in the seat with another car seat
What do WE love about the True Fit Convertible Car Seat?
1. The ease of use claim was spot on. It took less than 5 minutes to get ready once out of the box. The directions were in a convenient pocket in the back of the seat itself, and the directions were simple and self-explanatory.
We took out the infant head rests and extra infant padding with no problem at all. The LATCH hooks were easy to find and adjust for length. Lastly, it took just a couple of clicks to adjust it to the right height for G.
2. The padding throughout is super easy to remove for cleaning….essential for us, since we do sometimes feed the kids snacks in the car. (And if you’re like us and have a carsick-prone child, this is especially helpful.) It’s all possible thanks to a few simple snaps and loops.
Win it! Learning Curve/The First Years has graciously offered one of you a chance to win a True Fit Convertible Car Seat for your child! All you need to do is this:
Click on over and watch the demonstration video to learn more about the True Fit Convertible seat. After you’re done, come back here and tell me, in a comment, something that you learned or a particular aspect of this seat that you especially like. I’ll leave this contest open until 11pm next Wednesday, March 11th at 11pm EST. US entries only; duplicate commenters will be disqualified. Good luck!